As indoor climbing has grown in popularity, so has the need for international industry standards in climbing wall instruction and management. The Climbing Wall Association (CWA) was created to meet this need in the United States and these standards are expanding internationally. CMRCA is excited to provide CWA’s Climbing Wall Instructor Certification Program in Thailand and throughout Asia.
The CWI certification program requires two days and focuses on education, review and skills evaluation of individual candidates using consensus performance standards developed by leading professionals in the field of climbing sports which have been subjected to public review. Certification standards are intended to address the minimum criteria a candidate should meet to be able to comply with prevailing industry practices and standards of care.
- One year personal climbing experience
- Minimum 20 outings climbing indoors and/or outdoors
- Combination of formal training and climbing experience of 40 hours.
- The candidate can climb 5.8 (5b) top rope demonstrating calm, confidence, and good position without falls.
- The candidate can climb 5.7 lead demonstrating calm, confidence and good position without z-clips, back clips, or falls.
- equipment and facility inspection
- client orientation and instruction
- teaching top rope skills
- teaching lead skills (optional)
- bouldering and spotting
- emergency procedures
- Belay Device (i.e. ATC)
- Assisted breaking device (i.e GriGri)
- Climbing shoes
- Chalk bag
- Printed or electronic copy of the manual
- Pen and Note Pad **All equipment may be purchased at a discount from the CMRCA Adventure Store. Shop Online Here!
If you have some climbing experience and want to be certified to facilitate in an instructional program at an indoor wall, then this is the course for you!
Instruction, lunch, water, insurance, coupon for 20% off anything at the CMRCA adventure store, one-day bouldering gym pass, and discount on additional courses.